Best Place to Buy Work Boots (Top 10 Stores)
It can be challenging to pinpoint the best place to buy work boots with so many outlets available. This is especially the case when you have a specific brand, boot type, budget, or occupation in mind.
We review products independently, but we may earn affiliate commissions from buying through links on this page as an Amazon Associate.
You may be looking for a store that sells specific brands like Timbs, Ariats, and Wolverines, whereas another person may be looking for a store that sells construction boots with a protective steel-toe cap or western-style boots.
Today, I’m going to list some of the best work boot outlets out there where you can score the best deals. I’m also going to shed light on each outlet’s refund and shipping policies, as well as the quality of their customer service.
Top Places to buy work boots summary
|1||Amazon||Best Online Store to Buy Work Boots|
|2||Boot Barn||Best for Ariat Men’s work boots|
|3||Work Boots Superstore||Best Place to Buy Steel Toe Boots|
|4||Walmart||Cheapest Place to Buy Work Boots|
|5||Tractor Supply Company||Best for Lawn/Ranch Work Boots|
|6||Cabela’s||Best for Hunting and Fishing Boots|
|7||Shepler’s||Best for Cowboy, and Western Boots|
|8||Work Boot Warehouse||Best for High-End Boots|
|9||Sears||Best for DieHard Men’s Boots|
|10||DICK’s Sporting Goods||Best for Georgia Boots and Carhartts|
The 10 Best Places to Buy Work Boots
After long, tiresome hours of research and tons of inquiries, I’ve finally come up with a list of the most reliable places to buy safety footwear. No matter the brand, type, budget, or style you have in mind, one of the following stores will provide.
1. Amazon – Best Online Store to Buy Work Boots
You’ve probably seen this coming from a mile away, haven’t you? Let’s face it; Amazon is the go-to online outlet for just about any product, not just work boots.
With its competitive pricing and wide availability, Amazon is hard to beat. On top of that, you can find many, if not all, of the best work boot brands on Amazon, including Timberland, Red Wing, Georgia, Keen Utility, and Carhartt.
What I love about Amazon is its vast selection of boots. If you’re a construction worker looking for a pair of comfortable work boots, Amazon has got you covered.
If you’re an ironworker looking for a lightweight safety boot that features a wedge sole, Amazon has got you covered. No matter what you’re looking for, chances are you’ll find it on Amazon.
Also, Amazon is the right place to buy rubber work boots as it has a wide collection of rubber work boots at different price points.
If you have a Prime membership on Amazon, you get to enjoy free, super-fast shipping. If you don’t, Amazon’s shipping rates are pretty reasonable.
There are two things that I don’t like about Amazon, though. One, their customer service isn’t anything to write home about. They might occasionally send the wrong product. Luckily, Amazon has a convenient 30-day return policy.
Two, Amazon doesn’t always have the lowest prices, so be sure to check out the rest of the stores on the list before you make a purchase to ensure the lowest price.
- Vast selection of work boots for different occupations
- Caters to both men and women
- Carries a lot of brands, including Red Wing Heritage and Thorogood
- Fast shipping at reasonable rates
- Available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Not the most reliable customer service
- Doesn’t always have the lowest prices
2. Boot Barn – Best for Cowboy and Western Boots
Boot Barn is one of my personal favorite footwear outlets because it specializes in cowboy boots and western workwear, which I’m quite fond of.
If you’re someone who likes to try things before making a purchase, Boot Barn is right up your alley because it has over 200 brick-and-mortar stores in 33 states. Click here to find the nearest store to your location.
Boot Barn is home to everything from regular western-style work shoes to hiking boots to square-toe cowboy boots. Boot Barn is also home to a vast selection of footwear for women and kids.
Seeing as Boot Brand specializes in western wear, you can expect to find iconic brands like Silversmith, Wrangler, Ariat, Montana, Justin, and even Cody James there.
What sets Boot Barn apart from other stores is that it has a huge collection of Ariat men’s work boots with a myriad of models.
Boot Barn has a 60-day return policy. If you choose to return the purchased item online, you’ll need to pay a $10 return fee to compensate for shipping. If you return the item to a local Boot Barn store, you won’t have to pay the $10.
One of the best things about Boot Barn is that it offers free shipping for orders that are over $75. What’s more, Boot Barn’s customer service is off the charts!
The main downside to buying a pair of work boots from Boot Barn is that their prices are generally more expensive. You must also keep in mind that Boot Barn only specializes in western wear, so don’t expect much variety.
- Offers the best selection of Ariat and western-style footwear
- Caters to men, women, and children
- Carries a lot of unique brands, like Cody James and Wrangler
- Online and in-store shopping
- Free shipping for orders over $75
- Not much variety, seeing as it specializes in western wear
- Boot Barn’s prices are on the higher end
3. Work Boots Superstore – Best Place to Buy Steel Toe Boots
Work Boots Superstore is an online store where you can find vast selections of work boots that are suitable for all sorts of occupations.
Whether you’re a construction worker, warehouse worker, concrete worker, logger, lineman, or engineer, Work Boots Superstore is right up your alley.
Work Boots Super is home to many big-name work boots brands, including Thorogood, Timberland, Merrell, Danner, Keen, Skechers, and Under Armour.
It’s also worth noting that some brands are featured more extensively on Work Boots Superstore than on Amazon. One of those brands is Justin Boots.
On the flip side, there are brands that you’ll be hard-pressed to find on Work Boots Superstore that can be found on Amazon, like Red Wing Shoes.
Work Boots Superstore isn’t just home to a wide range of brands, but also a wide range of boot styles. From heavy-duty met guards and safety toes to a slip-resistant rubber outsole and puncture-resistant, full grain leather boots, Work Boots Superstore has it all!
I like how Work Boots Superstore emphasizes the different types of toe caps. You can find high-quality boots that feature an alloy toe cap, steel toe cap, soft toe cap, or composite toe box. You can also find steel toe and composite toe boots with different types of sole materials (insole, outsole, and midsole).
It has about 556 models of steel-toe boots for maximum protection in your jobsite.
Work Boots Superstore has an exceptional return policy of up to one year for new, unworn items that still have their tags attached. What’s more, Work Boots Superstore doesn’t have a restocking fee on retail orders.
As far as shipping, you get to enjoy “No Rush” shipping for order over $99 at a small fee of $4.99. Orders that are over $150 come at no fee. Click here to learn more about Work Boots Superstore’s shipping.
Note that Work Boots Superstore’s pricing is a bit higher than other footwear outlets. However, you can purchase work boots on sale for highly competitive prices.
- One of the most extensive selections of work boots
- High-quality steel toe boots
- Has the best return policy out of the bunch
- The go-to outlet for Justin work boots
- Excellent shipping policy
- Doesn’t carry Red Wing boots
- No shipping on holidays or weekends
4. Walmart – Cheapest Place to Buy Work Boots
If you’re on a tight budget and you’re looking for cheap work boots, Walmart is your best bet. Walmart’s pricing is super competitive, especially for products that they have in common with Amazon.
The thing about Walmart’s offerings is that even though they’re relatively cheap, their build quality is remarkable! You can find brands like Wolverine, Georgia, and Skechers in Walmart. Note that most of the boots you’ll find in Walmart have a rubber sole.
It’s also worth noting that Walmart has its own shoe lines, including Herman Survivor. Expect to find Herman Survivor’s full line in your nearest Walmart. If you can’t find a certain model, you can order it online.
Walmart offers free shipping on orders over $50. You also get to enjoy a generous 90-day return/exchange policy.
The only downside to buying work boots from Walmart is the limited choices. Unlike platforms Amazon and Work Boots Superstore, there aren’t too many high-quality options in Walmart.
Also, Walmart’s in-store availability can differ from one place to another.
- Best place to buy work boots on a tight budget
- Carries notable brands like Georgia and Wolverine
- Free shipping for orders over $50
- Generous 90-day return/exchange policy
- Online and in-store shopping
- In-store availability differs from one place to another
- Doesn’t have the widest selection of work boots
5. Tractor Supply Company – Best for Lawn/Ranch Work Boots
Tractor Supply Company is an American retail chain of stores based in Brentwood, Tennessee. The chain consists of 1923 stores all over the United States, and it specializes in the lawn, garden, livestock, and agriculture work.
If you do farm and ranch work, Tractor Supply Company has the perfect work boots for you. It features big-name brands like Ariat, Justin, Carhartt, Ridgecut, Georgia, and more.
With Tractor Supply Company, you can place an order online, or you can head to the nearest TSC store in your area.
Tractor Supply Company has a 30-day return policy and offers shipping all over the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska. Currently, they don’t offer shipping outside of the US.
Unlike Amazon and Work Boots Superstore, Tractor Supply Company doesn’t have a wide variety of work boots. Also, they don’t sell big-name brands like Wolverine, Timberland, and Red Wing Shoes.
Also, Tractor Supply Company’s prices are a bit higher than other work boot outlets.
- Offers the best work boots for ranch and farm work
- Online and in-store shopping
- Shipping is available all over the United States
- Carries brands like Ariat, Carhartt, Justin, and Georgia
- Excellent return policy
- No shipping outside of the United States
- Doesn’t carry Wolverine, Timberland, or Red Wing
6. Cabela’s – Best for Hunting and Fishing Boots
When it comes to hunting, fishing, and camping equipment, Cabela’s is second to none. It’s a retail chain that spans the United States and Canada with 170 brick-and-mortar stores. Cabela’s also offers online shopping.
I’m a massive fan of Cabela’s wide assortment of footwear. Their selection covers several categories, including work boots, hunting boots, duty boots, hiking boots, fishing boots, and western boots. What’s more, Cabela’s offers tons of options for women and children.
Despite having a wide selection of boots, you won’t find a lot of big-name brands on Cabela’s. Some of the brands you’ll find include RedHead, Ariat, Durango, Reebok, Irish Setter, Bates Enforcer, Keen Utility, and Cabela’s line.
Brands you won’t find include Timberland, Wolverine, Red Wing, Danner, Thorogood, and Georgia. Nonetheless, I’m still impressed by the unique variety that Cabela’s offers.
Cabela’s offers free shipping on orders over $50. This policy is valid for US-deliverable addresses only, though. Click here to learn more. As far as the return policy, you get to enjoy a 60-day return period with valid proof of purchase.
Cabela’s prices are pretty reasonable, but they’re still not as competitive as the likes of Amazon and Walmart.
- Online and in-store shopping
- One of the most extensive selections of boots
- Carries brands like Irish Setter and Durango
- Excellent selection of composite toe and steel toe boots
- One of the best places to buy a hunting/hiking boot
- Doesn’t carry Timbs, Red Wings, or Wolverines
- Free shipping policy is valid for US-deliverable addresses only
7. Shepler’s – Best for Traditional Work Boots
Shepler’s is the perfect outlet for you if you’re in the market for traditional work boots from brands like Carolina, Irish Setter, and Danner.
Related: Check my Carolina boots vs Redwing guide.
Shepler’s also specializes in pull-on or slip-on western boots for men and women, featuring brands like Cody James, Shyanne, El Dorado, Tony Lama, and Justin.
What I love the most about Shepler’s lines is that they’re pretty unique. In fact, some of the lines are made from exotic leather varieties, like the snake skin and ostrich leather work boot lines. Eric James and Dan Post brands are some examples.
I also like the fact that Shepler’s is big on clearance sales and discount coupons, which makes it ideal for shoppers on a tight budget. It’s an online store, though, so you won’t be able to try the shoes before you buy them.
Shipping-wise, Shepler’s offers free ground shipping for orders that are over $75. There’s also a 60-day return/exchange policy if you’re not 100% satisfied with your purchase.
Though Shepler’s has a wide range of styles, expect to find limited choices in certain styles and categories.
- Carries rare brands like Cody James, El Dorado, and Eric James
- One of the best places to buy a pull-on cowboy boot
- Frequent clearance sales and lots of discount coupons
- Some boots are made from rare materials like snake skin
- Free ground shipping for orders over $75
- Some categories carry limited options
- Doesn’t carry big-name brands like Timberland and Wolverine
8. Work Boot Warehouse – Best for High-End Boots
Work Boot Warehouse is where you can find high-end work boots from some of the best brands in the market. This includes Timberland PRO, Wolverine, Thorogood, Avenger, Irish Setter, Carolina, CAT, and Carhartt.
Whether you’re a concrete worker who stands on hard surfaces all day or an ironworker who needs top-notch safety boots, Work Boot Warehouse has got you covered!
Even though WBW only sells high-quality industrial footwear that boasts great durability, their pricing is surprisingly reasonable. “Affordability is our forte,” as stated on their website.
You can find everything from highly insulated, waterproof work boots intended for outdoor use to extra-cushioned, anti-slip boots that are intended for comfort.
The main downside is that Work Boot Warehouse doesn’t have an online store. You have to visit one of their west coast stores. Click here to learn more.
It’s worth noting that Work Boot Warehouse probably has the best customer service out of all the outlets on the list.
- Carries all of the popular work boot brands
- Prices are surprisingly affordable
- Impressive selection of safety steel toe boots
- Doesn’t carry low-quality work boots
- Has one of the best customer service teams
- Doesn’t have an online store
- Only a handful of brick-and-mortar stores
9. Sears – Best for DieHard Men’s Work Boots
Sears is probably the last place that comes to mind when you think of buying work boots, but you’d be surprised by what you can find in your nearest Sears.
You can find the latest waterproof and insulated work boots in Sears, from DieHard and Reebok to Wolverine and Harley Davidson. The boots you can find at your local Sears will offer great comfort, support, and slip resistance.
Sears has an excellent 30-day return policy and offers various shipping methods. You can buy work boots from Sears both in-store and online.
Sears’s prices may not be the lowest, but they’re definitely competitive. Sadly, there aren’t too many Sears stores these days—around 300 stores.
- Best place to buy DieHard work boots
- Carries brands like Wolverine and Harley Davidson
- Highly affordable prices
- Plenty of shipping methods
- Excellent return/exchange policy
- Limited brick-and-mortar stores
- Doesn’t have the widest selection of boots
10. DICK’s Sporting Goods – Best for Georgia Boots and Carhartts
Even though DICK’s Sporting Good is more known for sports gear and athletic apparel, you can find many high-quality work boots at your nearest DICK’s store. There are currently over 720 stores all over the country.
DICK’s Sporting Goods has plenty of big-name brands, including Timberland, Ariat, Carhartt, Durango, and Wolverine. They offer work boots for both men and women, available in different styles and heights.
This is my second favorite place to buy steel-toe work boots with about 102 models of popular brands like Georgia Boots, Muck Boots, Carharrt, Keen, and Wolverine. It doesn’t have Red Wing models and it only has limited models of Timbs and Ariat.
With DICK’s Sporting Goods, you can shop online (with pickup option available) or in-store. They offer a 30-day return policy and several shipping methods, including standard USPS shipping, third-day shipping, and two-day shipping.
DICK’s Sporting Good is backed by an excellent customer service team, and their prices are very competitive.
- Very competitive prices
- Carries notable brands like Ariat and Timberland
- Online and in-store shopping
- Plenty of options for shipping
- Excellent customer service
- More synonymous with athletic wear than work boots
- Red Wing work boots are not available
- In-store availability differs from one place to another
Other Work Boots Outlets to Consider
If none of the above-listed stores carry a specific brand or model that you’re looking for, which is highly unlikely, you should consider the following outlets:
- Work ‘N Gear: While not as popular as some of the above-listed outlets, Work ‘N Gear is still one of the best stores to buy work boots. Work ‘N Gear carries flaunts many boot categories, including hiking, tactical, logger, rain, non-slip, met-guard, and steel toe boot categories.
- Overstock.com: You can find plenty of high-quality men’s work boots on Overstock, including brands like AdTec, Polar Fox, and Desert Storm. Sadly, Overstock doesn’t carry popular brands like Timberland, Red Wing Shoes, and Wolverine.
- Target: While it may not be the first store to come to mind when we think of footwear, but Target carries a lot of high-quality men’s work boots from brands like Georgia, Rocky, Michelin, Lehigh, and Timberland. It is another good place to get cheap work boots.
- Red Wing Shoes: Not a lot of work boot outlets carry Red Wing work boots. With that in mind, the best place to buy Red Wing work boots is RedWingShoes.com (available in-store only). Red Wing is one of the go-to brands if you’re looking for a waterproof boot, insulated boot, or composite safety toe boot. As you can see the previously mentioned stores carry only the Red Wing Heritage line models with the popular Goodyear welt construction.
- DSW: Although DSW is more known for women’s shoes, boots, and handbags, it still carries a decent variety of men’s work boots, including non-slip, soft toe, safety toe, composite toe cap, and steel toe work boot categories. You can also find work boots that are designed for electrical hazard protection as well as ASTM F2413 boots.
- Zappos: Zappos carries a pretty decent selection of men’s work boots as well as women’s work boots. You can find brands like Avenger, Carhartt, Keen Utility, Irish Setter, Georgia, and Timberland PRO on Zappos.
- Steel-toe-shoes.com: It has one of the widest collections of steel-toe work boots. Search for their coupon codes and you can get your work boot of choice at a great price.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Place To Buy Work Boots Online?
The best place to buy work boots online is Amazon. You can find a wide range of work boots from numerous brands on Amazon. That’s not to mention that Amazon’s prices are the most competitive in most cases.
What Is The Cheapest Place To Buy Work Boots Online?
The cheapest place to buy work boots online is Amazon, with Walmart being a close second. Products that are common between Amazon and Walmart will most likely be cheaper on Walmart. Sierra is also a great option if you’re interested in factory seconds.
Where To Buy Ariat Boots?
You can buy Ariat boots from Amazon, Boot Barn, Cabela’s, Tractor Supply Company, and DICK’s Sporting Goods. I recommend activating their deals alerts and subscribing to their newsletters to buy cheap Ariat boots.
What Is The Best Store To Buy Women’s Work Boots?
Amazon is the ultimate place to buy women’s work boots, followed by Boot Barn, Cabela’s, Shepler’s, and DICK’s Sporting Goods.
I’m Shaun Williams, editor-in-chief of Workwear Digest. My objective to help fellow blue-collar workers make informed buying decisions when choosing their workwear. I have over 15 years of combined experience with many industrial and manual labor jobs. I started out as a construction laborer and a part-time driver, then I worked as a heavy equipment operator. Currently, I work as an estimator for a local landscape company.